With energy company profits soaring — and MPs from all sides failing to even mention the staggering £12bn cost of ‘Smart Meters’ as they seemingly struggle to find ways to help reduce energy bills — campaign group Stop Smart Meters! (UK) is calling for a full Parliamentary Review of the Government’s controversial ‘Smart’ Meter programme – which will add £400 to the energy & tax bills of every household and small business in the UK.
In addition to the huge capital outlay required for the project:
- Question marks surround the legality of Smart Meters
- Consumer group Which? has described the programme as a “£12bn luxury we cannot afford” – and repeatedly called for Smart Meters to be halted
- Serious questions exist in relation to the public health impact of Smart Meters
- Concerns are mounting in relation to the cyber security threats created by a web-enabled energy grid via Smart Meters
- Sensitive household behavioural information – unnecessary for a balanced energy grid – becomes exploitable by hackers, Government agencies and marketers
- Customers are being widely “mislead” on key aspects of Smart Meters (such as being told they are mandatory when in fact they are voluntary) by Big Energy firms who are unlikely to return the predicted savings of just £23/house per year from Smart Meters – and for the requisite 16 year period for returning the £12bn cost
- Energy consumers could be forced onto variable tariffs with Smart Meters – where kWh prices change on a rolling basis – meaning consumers are forced to continuously alter habits at home or face even higher bills
- Industry surveys have shown that Smart Meters lead to much higher bills for consumers
- There has been no public consultation about how “liberated” Smart Meter data could be used in future, for example, in implementing new levies and taxes.
And at a cost to each home of £400?
We want Parliament to review this risky and hugely expensive programme.
Please add your name to the petition here and send a copy of this to your MP and friends also. Make your voice heard.
Please share widely.